Sunday, February 13, 2005

Happy Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day!

So this one’s a wee bit early, but who’s actually going to read it before February 14? That’s what I thought.

I was cruising the state today, my radio on, everyone talking about love songs. Tomorrow, everyone will be taking requests. If you forgot a present (then shame on you) just call in a request. Which got me thinking. What song would I request?

Perhaps, a symbol of my love life right now: "Trying to find Atlantis" By some country singer whose name I forgot. According to her, "A girl trying to find the perfect man is trying to find Atlantis." "Tis a subject upon which I could expound to great lengths, but that’s another day.

Perhaps an old Beatles classic: "All You Need Is Love" or even more endearing: "When I’m Sixty Four."

Or creeping forward a generation or two I might go with Whitney Houston: "I Will Always Love You."

But I’m thinking no. I’m feeling Meatloaf. I’m feeling "Paradise By The Dashboard Light." (I don’t know how many of you know the song, but this guy’s trying to make out with this girl in the car, and he’s as close as he can come without actually doing it, and she stops him and asks if he loves her, to which he replies, "well let me sleep on it." (BTW, one of the greatest lines ever put in a song. Speaking of which I heard another one today on a country station. it goes, "but my give-a-damn's busted.") But she being the persistent type doesn’t give up until he says he’ll love her forever. And now he’s "waiting til the end of time so I can end my time with you."

But Sarah, I never would have pictured you as one of those cynical jaded angry women who hates this holiday!

And I’m not, which makes the whole thing that much odder even for me. People in love is awesome and great and super and I hope I get to do it some day. And it is something to be celebrated, and I hope I never begrudge anyone some love in her life.

And then my other half tries to say, "but let’s be honest with ourselves. It may be Valentines Day and people may be in love, but girls are still bitches (and yes, I do include myself) and guys are still assholes and liars."

Not that I hold it against you. It’s simply a handicap that must be taken into account, much like the girl’s bitch factor. You take it in, you process it, and you set it off to the side with all those other annoying habits and you go on.

I’m thinking this acceptance of the nature of people, and the moving on from that is the key to why I can be a hopeless romantic… ok, a romantic who still thinks Paradise By the Dashboard Light would make a good request on Valentines Day.

But then, I also think that bubbles are magic.

And that there’s a mouse living in my hair.

So don’t worry. You don’t really have to listen to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home