Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Why Life Deserves Cheesecake

If there’s one thing I learned from more than one book this semester, it’s that life is a struggle. To co-exist or to understand or to have a good time or to think, we always feel resistance and tension. It’s internal, it’s external it’s psychological, it’s physical, it’s them, it’s you. And even when you’re not fighting, you’re fighting anyway.

Do I look fat today? I should go to the gym. Can I burn enough calories today? How many did I eat so far? Lets see, that sandwich had 450 and I really shouldn’t have gotten the bag of chips. Look at these thighs? They’re huge and giggly and gross.

Hi Mom, no, I’m not seeing anybody right now. You did what? Please tell me you’re joking. I can’t. Because I don’t know him. Then why don’t you date him? You know that’s why you did it in the first place. We’re not getting into that. Thanks, but I don’t really need more psychoanalysis. I’m hanging up now. Good bye Mom.

What do you mean we can’t know it? We just haven’t learned how to look at it yet. Sure, at present maybe we can only know its velocity or its current position, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have both at the same time. All our machines are based on classical physics. All our ideas are to. Maybe translation just isn’t possible. Or maybe we just haven’t learned to think in the right direction. Yes, it is a little confusing.

And so it goes.

Now different people respond to such stress in different ways. Some escape reality all together. Some fight back to the point where they have completely emptied themselves. And some turn to cheesecake.

Because the Universe in which cheesecake dwells is a beautiful carefree plane of existence. And it doesn’t share space with the likes of tension. It’s a bit of a snob that way. It won’t even share thought space with the nasty stuff. Cheesecake knows how to say "Hellooo!!! Lets focus on me now, cuz I’m just so worth it." And you feel no resistance. Perhaps it could be called a state of hypnosis, where the suggestions all flow towards the same bliss.

Don’t buy it? Look at it this way, it’s a healthier coping method than schizophrenia.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Sarah Eliza said...

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Except for the surprise part. That's only common sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home