Sunday, September 04, 2005

I'm Fine

Dear Mom,
Just writing to let you know I’m fine. Hit a bit of a SNAFU on the drive back from CA. I got to Montana and noticed that I didn’t have enough money for gas to get me back home. I mean, I did when I left, but with Katrina, and these new prices and everything, there’s just no way.
Not that I’m complaining. The ones who actually got hit by the hurricane have it way worse than me. I know how lucky I am to be alive and clean and dry with a place to sleep at night. Those guys need help way more than I do at the moment, so if you’ve got a little extra money kicking around, don’t worry about me. Get it to the Red Cross. I’m fine, like I said before.

See, here’s the story. I was way out in the middle of nowhere, on the scenic route home, stopping for pictures and everything. The views out here are uber more stunning in person, you know? Those mountains? Powerful stuff. But yeah, I stopped for gas in one of those cute little Americana towns, with the park in the middle, and the gazebo and main street and everything. And I was about to pump, when I did some internal calculations, and realized that $300 was not going to get me back to the east coast.

I know, you’ve been telling me forever that I need better gas mileage than the jeep, but you know how it is with parental advice right? But yes, you were right. And a new car is right near the top of my list at the moment.

But anyway, I was pretty lucky to notice the problem when I did. $300 may not be able to get me home anymore, but it was enough to get me a deposit on an apartment in the middle of nowhere Montana. I asked around and found this cute little above the garage type thing that the family (the Carpenters) had just finished. Mr. Carpenter said it was originally supposed to be for their son, a deal to get him to stay close to home and go to the community college, but he changed his mind and wanted something a little more prestigious. So he’s over at Stanford, and the Carpenters are here with an apartment to rent.

It’s not really furnished. Gus, that’s the son, was going to do that, but he took all that stuff to college with him. But since I don’t have much in the way of furniture with me, I’ve been trying to get the seats out of the jeep. It isn’t going that well. All I’ve managed so far is a chuckle from Mr. Carpenter. He was riding the lawnmower about early in the week, puttering is what Mrs. C likes to call it, having a good old time watching me for a while.

Finally, he comes up and says, "You know, you get some cash, you can find yourself some pretty decent stuff at one a the yard sales this weekend."

Yard sales! Mom, you’ve gotta try them. Amazing. I went yesterday, and found a used-but-not-ratty mattress for $25! They even gave me the box spring! I also came up with a few decorative pillows and some stuffed animals to up the squishy factor in my new place. You know how I love soft, fluffy environments, right? Yeah.

Oh the money? You’re wondering where I got it? I found work. It was the next thing I did after I got the place to sleep covered. There’s this daycare/preschool down the road that was looking for people. Margaret (my new boss) was a little wary about the no previous experience thing, but she went gaga over the first aid/CPR training. And the kids are so cute! They’re up to four years old, and you would not believe the things that come out of their mouths! Well you would I’m sure having experience with your very own four year olds, but me, I have to stop myself from laughing in their faces.

Yesterday this girl comes ups to me, and with the most serious expression on her face, she says, "Boys can make little boys, but girls make little girls. That way things are even." I mean come on, how am I supposed to answer that?

So like I said, I’m fine. And now that things are taken care of, I’m saving up for a new car. Gotta go though. The weekend’s not over yet, and there’s many yard sales to go before I rest.

Love,
Jenny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home